Clear Windows Update Cache – What is cache? The cache is small files stored in computer system storage and is not needed anymore. Usually, caches are referred to as junk files.
Some caches are hidden, and some are not. You should delete these files so that your laptop or PC storage is not full and maintain laptop performance. For a more detailed explanation, read the full article on caches.
This article will explain how to clear and clear the Windows 10 update cache. This update cache is stored in a special directory to accommodate files for updating purposes. It is usually located in the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download directory.
How to Clear Windows 10 Update Cache
Allingadget – There are 3 ways we recommend removing these junk files. A detailed explanation of how to clear the Windows 10 update cache is as follows:
How to Manually Clear Windows 10 Update Cache
A straightforward way is to delete the cache manually. Here are the steps:
- First login to Windows as Administrator.
- Next, open File Explorer and go to the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download directory.
- Delete all folders and files in the folder.
If this method does not delete all the files in the folder, please try clearing the cache via Command Prompt or with a batch file. The method is in the sub-article below.
Clear Cache via Command Prompt (CMD)
We recommend the following if the manual method doesn’t work, namely clearing the Windows 10 update cache via cmd. Here’s the full tutorial:
- The first step is to stop the Windows Update Service function temporarily by going to cmd by pressing the ‘Windows’ key on the taskbar, typing ‘cmd,’ and pressing ‘Ctrl + Shift + Enter’ to open cmd as Administrator.
- After the cmd screen opens, type net stop wuauserv, then press ‘Enter.’
- Then follow the steps in the Manual section by going to the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download directory in File Explorer and deleting all folders and files in this directory.
- Next, after emptying the Windows update directory, reopen cmd to type the command net start wuauserv and press ‘Enter.’
Clear Update Cache with Batch File Command
The last, most straightforward way is to create a batch file which then all cache Windows 10 updates will be executed by this one file. You can save this file permanently on your PC or laptop and use it again for the same purposes in the future.
Here are easy steps to create a batch file to clear the Windows update cache:
- Open Notepad++ or Notepad.
- Then copy the code on the side and paste it into Notepad.
- Then save the file by selecting the ‘File’ menu, selecting ‘Save as,’ then select the ‘All Files’ extension, then naming the file ‘Clear Cache Update.bat.’ The storage location can be anywhere.
- Then, when finished, right-click on the ‘Clear Cache Update.bat’ file and select ‘Run as Administrator,’ and wait a moment until the command closes automatically.
- Your Windows update cache file has been deleted.
The code you have to copy
net stop wuauserv
CD Software Distribution
DEL /F /S /Q Download
net start wuauserv
How to Clear Windows 10 Update Cache – Which step do you think is the easiest? We recommend choosing step #3 because you can use the created file any time you need to. Also, read this help article from Microsoft.
Thank you for visiting. AllinGadget will continue to provide information every day. We always try to provide the latest and best information for you. I hope you get the information you want. If you have criticism and feedback, don’t hesitate to contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Have a nice day.